Villa Paula was built by the Cuban government around 1926 as a consulate with Domingo J. Milord as consul, and it was named for Milord's wife Paula. Domingo Milord came to the United States from Cuba when he was four years old. His father was a cigar manufacturer, and Domingo also entered into the business. He was appointed consul in 1919.
Villa Paula is the only known building directly associated with the Cuban government still standing in the city. It is significant as a reflection of Miami's early ties with Cuba and Latin America, foreshadowing the development of Miami as an international city. The building is also an excellent example of neo-classical style architecture and is noteworthy for the quality of it's design, detail, materials and craftsmanship.
Villa Paula was designed by Havana architect, C. Freira, built entirely of materials brought from Cuba and constructed by Cuban craftsmen. It reflects the type of buildings popular in Cuba during this period. Particularly noteworthy is its classical porch, balustraded roof, windows, and ornate tiles.
Villa Paula was designated a historic site in June 1983.